Number of Servings: 3
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 60 Minutes
2 pound ground pork
2 pound medium ground beef
2 medium onions, finely diced
3 medium potatoes, already mashed
2 beef broth
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoon Salt
3 pie shells and 3 lids
1. In a big pot, mix the meats and onions.
2. In a bowl, mix your liquids and your spices. Add these to the pot.
3. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Cool meat for 30 minutes.
6. Add mashed potatoes and mix.
7. Portion meat into the pie shells
8. Cover pie shells with lids and crimp edges. Vents should be cut into the lid to release the steam.
9. Bake at 425 for ~15 minutes, to kick start the browning process.
10. Bake at 400 for ~45 minutes – 1 hour, till crusts are golden brown.
11. Serve hot, or cool down and freeze for reheating later.
* When I eat tourtiere, I like it with gravy. So, I make a nice simple and rich beef gravy to go along.
* Some people prefer ketchup over gravy.
* If you like skinny pies, you could probably stretch the filling to cover 4 pies.
* The potatoes absorb much of the excess liquid, producing a moist filling that holds together perfectly and doesn’t sog up the bottom crust.